Translate

January 26, 2015

The Anatomy of a Filipino by Prof. Felix Bautista


All I like to think that I am a Filipino, that I am as Good, a Filipino as anyone.
Girls: My heart thrills, when, I Hear, the National anthem, being played.
Boys:  And my Blood Rises, when, I see our flag, Fluttering in the breeze.
All:  And Yet, I find myself asking, How Filipino Am I, Really?
Boys My First Name is American.
Girls My Last Name Is Chinese.
Boys When I am with Girlfriends or more correctly, when, I am with my Friends, who happen to be girls- I talk to them in English.
Girls If they are thirsty, I buy them, a Bottle of American coke.
Boys If they are hungry, I treat them, to an Italian Pizza pie.
All And when I have the money, I give them a real Chinese Lauriat.
Boy (solo):  Considering all these, considering my taste, for many things foreign, what right do I have, to call myself, a Filipino?
Girls (solo):  Should I not call myself, a culture orphan? The illegitimate child of many races?
All:  Rightly or wrongly, whether we like it or not, we are the end products of our history. Fortunately or unfortunately, our history is a co-mingling, of polyglot influences.
Boys Malayan and Chinese.
Girls:  Spanish and British.
Boys American and Japanese.
All:  This is historic fact we cannot ignore, a cultural reality we cannot escape, for to believe otherwise is to indulge in fantasy.
Boy (solo):  I must confess, I am an extremely confused, and Bewildered young man. Wherever I am, whatever I may be doing, I am Bombarded, on all sides, by people who want, me to search for my national identity.
All:  Tell me the Language I speak should be replaced by Filipino. They urge me to do away with things foreign to act and think, and buy Filipino.
Girl (solo):  Even in art, I am getting bothered and Bewildered.
All:  The Writer should use Filipino, as his medium, the nationalists cry.
Boys The Painter should use his genius in portraying themes purely Filipino, they demand.
Girls:  The Composer should exploit endless Possibilities of the haunting kundiman, they insist.
All:  All these sound wonderful. But Rizal used Spanish, when he wrote, Noli and Fili.
Boys:  Was he less of a nationalist, because of it? Must the artist, to be truly Filipino, paint with the juice of the duhat?
Girls And must he draw picture of topless Muslim women or Igorot warriors in G-String
All And if the composer deserts the kundiman, and he writes song faithful to the spirit of the Youths of today, does he become unFilipino? We are what we are today, because of our history.
Boys In our veins pulses blood with traces of Chinese and Spanish and American, but It does not stop being Filipino, because of these.
 Girls:  Our culture is tinged with foreign influences, but it has become rich thereby.
All This mingling, in fact, could speed us on the road, to national greatness.  Look at America, it is a great country, and yet it is the melting pot of Italian, and German, British, and French, or Irish and Swedish.
Boy (solo):  Filipinism, after all, is in the heart.
All If that heart beats faster, because the Philippines is making progress, if it fills with compassion because its people are suffering, then it belongs to a true Filipino; and it throbs with pride in our past, if it pulses with awareness of the present, if it beats  with a faith in the future, then we could ask for nothing more; all other things are unimportant.
Boys I have an American First Name.
Girls:  And I have, a Chinese Last Name.
All:  And I am proud, very, very proud, - because underneath these names beats a Filipino heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment